Foreigners can be admitted and educated at doctoral schools on the basis of (Article 323 (1) of the Act, Law on Higher Education and Science):

  • international agreements, by rules set forth in these agreements,
  • contracts concluded by universities with foreign entities, by rules set forth in these contracts,
  • minister’s decision,
  • decision made by the head of National Agency for Academic Exchange (NAWA) with regard to the agency’s scholars,
  • decision made by the head of National Science Centre (NCN) to grand funds for basic research carried out as research project, internship or scholarship,
  • administrative decision of the Rector




A copy of the document certifying graduation from higher education (higher education diploma of graduation obtained abroad and recognised in the Republic of Poland) is to be sent to the following address: by the date set out in the recruitment plan.

Higher education diplomas of graduation obtained abroad must be apostilled or legalised in the diploma-issuing country.

The apostille or legalised diploma should also be translated into Polish.



Apostille is a certificate on the basis of which official documents (including certificates and diplomas) issued in the territory of one state are considered legal in the territory of another state. Apostille was introduced on 5th October 1961 (Journal of Laws of 2005 No. 112, item 938) at the Hague Convention which abolished the requirement of diplomatic and consular legalization for public documents originating in one Convention country and intended for use in another. Documents can obtain the Apostille in the country where they have been issued.



Legalisation is the authentication of a document (e.g. a certificate or a diploma) issued in another country.  If a diploma-issuing country is not a member state of the Hague Convention the diploma must be legalised.

The document is legalised by the Polish consul in the country where the document was issued.


Document translation

Each apostille or legalised document issued in any language other than Polish must be translated into Polish. The translation must be certified by a Polish sworn translator (entered on the list of sworn translators of the Ministry of Justice), a sworn translator registered in any of EU countries (if the EU Member State has the system of sworn translators/interpreters) or the Polish consul (the consulate office).


Recognition of foreign education

A diploma certifying graduation from higher education abroad entitles the diploma holder to continue education or to start doctoral proceedings in a country in whose higher education system the diploma-issuing university operates.

A diploma certifying graduation from higher education obtained abroad is not recognised as equivalent to a Polish diploma of graduation or the level of education if the diploma-issuing institution or the institution which provided the education:

  • does not operate within the higher education system of any state or within the meaning of the internal law of the state in whose higher education system the institution operates,
  • were not accredited higher education institutions or implemented a study programme which did not have accreditation on the date of issuing the diploma (the higher education programme or its part was implemented against the provisions of the country in which the education was provided),
  • A foreign degree may be recognised as equivalent to a Polish one on the basis of an international agreement or, if there is no such an agreement, through the procedure of nostrification.


If you need a recognition of your diploma certifying graduation from higher education abroad, please send a scan of the document to: during the recruitment process at the International Doctoral School.

Education at International Doctoral School is also free of charge for foreigners.

Recruitment conditions

International Doctoral School offers the same recruitment conditions for foreigners and Polish citizens.  Foreigners undergo the recruitment process in accordance with the recruitment resolution issued by MUL Senate. The recruitment procedure for the International Doctoral School is based on the competition and its principles are set forth in the resolution.

Scholarship at International Doctoral School  

Each doctoral student who is not a PhD degree holder receives a doctoral scholarship.


Legalisation of foreigner’s residence

Temporary residence permit for the purpose of studies at International Doctoral School is granted to foreigners whose purpose of stay on the territory of  the Republic of Poland  is to undertake or continue the studies at International Doctoral School also when the studies are a continuation or complementation of studies taken up at the territory of the other EU Member State.

The temporary residence permit for studies is granted if the circumstances justify the residence of the foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland for the period exceeding 3 months.

Temporary residence permit

How to submit the application:

  • by making an on-line appointment on the following website:
  • if there are no dates available in the on-line appointment scheduling system you can submit your application in person in the central regional office:

The Department of Civil Affairs and Foreigners 103  Piotrkowska St., 2nd floor, Room 26 on Mondays, Thursdays 8:30 -14:30 and Tuesdays 10:00- 17:00

  • You can also submit your application by post: The Department of Civil Affairs and Foreigners in Łódź Voivodship Office ul. Piotrkowska 103, 90-425 Łódź

The application for temporary residence permit must be submitted no later than on the last day of the foreigner’s legal stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland.,student-studiow-stacjonarnych.html


Foreigners entitled to stay under the visa-free regime:

To stay under the visa-free regime foreigners must meet the following conditions:

  • have a travel document,
  • confirm the purpose of travel and conditions of stay,
  • possess adequate financial resources or an opportunity to legally obtain the funds to cover the costs of living during the planned stay and
  • not to be an entity for whom an alert has been issued in SIS database and
  • not to be considered a threat to public policy, internal security, public health or international relations of any of the Member States, and, more importantly, no refusal of entry has been issued on that person by an alert entered in the national databases of the Member States.


Extension of a national visa

A national visa can be extended only once.

The voivode can extend a national visa if the following conditions are met jointly:

  • it is justified by an important professional or personal business of the foreigner or they are unable to leave the territory for humanitarian reasons before the national visa expiry date or before the end of the permitted period of stay covered by this national visa,
  • events which are the reason for applying for a national visa extension occurred regardless of the will of the foreigner and were not foreseeable on the date of submission of the visa application,
  • the circumstances do not indicate that the purpose of the foreigner’s stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland will be different than the declared one,
  • there are no circumstances that could provide the ground for the national visa to be refused.


Schengen visa extension

  • Mandatory extension of the Schengen visa

The voivode extends the Schengen visa if the visa holder shows that due to force majeure or for humanitarian reasons it is not possible to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa or before the end of the visa allowed stay.

  • Optional extension of the Schengen visa

The voivode may extend the Schengen visa if the visa holder has provided proof of valid personal reasons justifying the extension of the visa validity period or stay.,przedluzenie-wizy.html



Foreigners are required to have an insurance policy against illness and consequences of accidents for the period of education in the Republic of Poland or the European Health Insurance Card. In the absence of the above-mentioned documents, the foreigner is obliged to take out insurance at the National Health Fund immediately after starting education. The University has the right to verify the possession of the above documents, and the foreigner is obliged to provide these documents immediately upon the University’s request

Podziel się